Now that you have hearing aids, you’ll want to make sure you’re doing all you can to keep them working as well as they can.
In between your regular visit with your hearing care clinician, there are a few simple, yet essential maintenance tasks you can do at home.
Here are 9 tips for taking care of your hearing aids:
- Wash your hands before and after handling your hearing aids.
- Make a habit of giving your hearing aids a wipe with a clean cloth. Give the battery contacts a clean and take care to remove any earwax and dirt that may have built-up.
- Use the small cleaning tool that came with your hearing aids to clean around the vent areas.
- If your hearing aids have wax guards or filters, be sure to replace these from time to time.
- Always remember to switch off your hearing aids when you’re not using them. This is done by opening the battery door. This will also help conserve your hearing aid batteries.
- The performance of your hearing aids can be affected by moisture. To help overcome this, place your hearing aids in a drying box overnight. Take out the batteries first and keep the battery doors open. (A drying box may have come with your devices when you were fitted with them. If not, ask your hearing clinician about getting one.)
- It’s important to take your hearing aids out before you have a shower or go for a swim.
- When you’re not wearing your hearing aids, keep them in a safe, dry place, away from children and pets. I can’t tell you how many of my clients’ hearing aids have been chewed up by the family pooch.
- Regularly visit your doctor to have your ear canals cleaned. It’s best to avoid trying to remove earwax yourself as you may damage your ears.
There’s more information on taking care of your hearing aids on our Hearing Aid Troubleshooting Checklist here.
You’ll find your hearing aids came with instructions on the best way to clean and maintain your devices, but if you need further instructions about cleaning and maintaining your hearing aids, please give us a call on 1300 970 558 – or book an in-person appointment online.